Monday, August 2, 2010

My Ranger Duties

I guide five different trails around Glacier Point and discuss natural things with visitors. It's a lot of fun for me and the visitors. I have anywhere from 2 to 50 people on my hikes. It's educational and fun.

Part of my duties is to rove the sidewalk at the point to answer questions and perform mini talks. Occationally I will break out my spotting scope to show visitors climbers and hikers on the walls and domes around the point. Most people are blown away to see what all is out there that can't be seen by the unaided eye. The two pictures below were taken through the scope so you can view what the visitors view.

Hikers who have summited Half Dome. (2.7 miles away)

Mountain climbers on the shoulder of Half Dome. This course is called Snake Dyke. It's about 1800 feet of prominant quartz vein. Experienced climbers can climb it in four to five hours. The record climb time is 17 minutes. Awesome.

My favorite duty is to perform "Sunset Talks" at Glacier Point. I start about 30 minutes before sundown and talk for 30 minutes. The sunset color is projected behind me on the face of Half Dome as I talk. Each night we typically have between 200 and 500 people here for the talk and sunset. It's a lot of fun. I talk about the "History of Glacier Point", "Rivers, Waterfalls and Mountains" and "Some Rocks Have It and Some Rocks Don't" (Half Dome).

I like to have visitors ask to have their picture taken with me. Sometimes I feel like Mickey Mouse at Disneyland, but in this particular case...I love France. The best part of my day right here. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may post your comments here.