Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sequoia National Park






In 2007, Kimberly and I volunteered as campground hosts at Buckeye Flats in Sequoia National Park for the summer. I know it is not park of this trip, but I thought I would include it anyway since I have been describing other national parks. Sequoia National Park is in central eastern California in the Sierra Nevada's. The park in know for Mount Whitney, the highest point in the contiguous United States and for the General Sherman Giant Sequoia Tree, the earths largest living thing.

This experience was my introduction to the National Park Service and all that it offers. Kimberly and I  were campground hosts in a very remote wilderness campground that had not had hosts before. The clientele to the campground were used to having their own way and doing their own thing. The park service was very happy to have us move in and make some sort of order to things. I could tell you some amazing stories about our experiences there but I will same it for another time. We do have some close personal relationships with some bears in the park though. Kimberly also initiated an in-campground Junior Ranger training program. The rangers gave Kimberly the authority to train and induct Junior Rangers.

I have included a picture of Mineral King, one of my favorite places in Sequoia National Park and Sawtooth Mountain. The other pictures are of some of Kimberly's Junior Ranger graduating classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may post your comments here.