Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Ranger Duties

I have started to intigrate Miwok lectures into my naturalist hikes. I will soon do a complete post on Miwok information.


This is my friend Julia Parker, a local Miwok who works at the Yosemite Museum. I have learned a lot from her.


One of my duties is bear management. I am not a formal bear manager, but in Glacier Point we are quite remote so we Rangers are called upon to do more then most Rangers because we are out here alone. This is the same bear that took down a deer about 50 feet from me. Read that story here. On this day she and her two cubs entered a heavily human populated Glacier Point area. She approached a man and his dog. The man picked up his dog in his arms, the dogs food and his food and ran to me to tell me of the bear. I approached the bear and ran her and her two cubs up into the mountains away from people. This was a very important moment for the cubs. It was my goal to adverse condition the cubs so they will be afraid of me and this place.


Things didn't go so well for the owner of this truck. The bear easily broke in. She bit into a cold gel-pack, dropped it and quit. No food was acquired. Yahoo!


This plane flew about 2,000 feet above the valley floor and 1,000 feet below the valley rim. A visitor shot this picture and sent it to me. I thought he was on a suicide run because he was flying directly for Half Dome. He turned right just at the last second.


I love Italy.

1 comment:

You may post your comments here.